Saturday, June 25, 2011
This afternoon I got a very upsetting call that Cowboy Jack Clement's home and recording studio had a fire. But the good news is Cowboy, his family (including his cats) and employeess are all safe.
"Thank you all for the love today. Seeing my Daddy watch his house burn down was the saddest thing I've ever seen. Seeing my Daddy free from harms way was the biggest blessing of my life. Everyone is safe, including the pets. His guitars were saved, a procession of 7 firemen rescued arms full of gold records and awards. The outpouring of love and respect for my father was humbling and beautiful. Thank you all." Alison Clement
I'll bring you more on this story. In the meantime, please keep Cowboy and his family in your thoughts and prayers.
We love you Cowboy!
Back In Memphis Interview WIth Cowboy @ his Nashville home.
Cowboy Jack Clement @ Million Dollar Quartet on Broadway
The Nashville Fire Department believes an electrical fire that began in wiring inside a wall was the cause of a fire that heavily damaged the Belmont Boulevard home and recording studio of Music Row legend "Cowboy" Jack Clement Saturday.
Firefighters said the fire began around 2 p.m. in the attic.
Clement has lived and worked in the house for 30 years, naming the headquarters the "Cowboy Arms Hotel and Recording Spa." Johnny Cash recorded four albums there and Alison Krause recorded her first album at age 15 in Clement's studio.
Fire fighters were able to rescue Clement's gold records. Clement rescued his three cats and his favorite guitars, including a 1951 Gibson guitar.
Clement is a legend in music circles; a singer and songwriter, but also the man behind many stars. He discovered Jerry Lee Lewis, produced Charlie Pride, Waylon Jennings, Eddie Arnold, Louis Armstrong and U2, among others.
Clement and a female companion had been at home asleep when the fire broke out, according to the woman's son, Kevin Pittman. Pittman heard the smoke alarms and rescued the couple.
Pittman said he smelled a toxic smoke, which he believed was caused by recording masters being destroyed. He feared that never-before released masters of Johnny Cash were lost in the fire.
|Elvis & Sonny|