CMT Sun Records Episode One Review


 


The reviews among Elvis fans are mixed for Sun Records, the new drama on CMT which premiered last night. Most LOVE it, Some don't like it at all, and others want to give it a chance.

Myself, I LIKE it. Last night was an introduction to all the characters. I think the writers and producers did a fine job summing up all that early history in less than an hour!

I loved how they summed up Colonel Parker. It was PERFECT! I also liked the inclusion of Eddy Arnold. See, it's THOSE DETAILS that make the difference! Very Cool! 
Details like this take time and KNOWLEDGE! And that is something most TV shows and movies don't have! Hats off to the writers! Very much appreciated, well at least by me!

I love when the Colonel tells the boy he can cover the Bob Wills posters, "Cause Bob is a friend of mine and he said it would be okay." And then when Colonel goes in and sells the record store a hundred records and even gets the guy to pay the postage. So Colonel!

Let's remember this is a DRAMA loosely based on the history of Sun Records. This is NOT a documentary! And this show has to appeal NOT JUST to US die hard fans, it also has to appeal to the general public, CMT's audience. 

There were two things that bothered me, first and most importantly, whether it is true or not, I did not like the portrayal of Elvis' parents being drinkers especially Gladys hiding her bottle in the pots and pans. You know why? Well, Elvis fans know why. Elvis himself would NOT like that! He adored his Mama. There are already too many awful stereotypes of Elvis . I hate that people who do not know much about Elvis will carry those details as fact now.  I just think it would be very hurtful to Elvis. And it does NOT add to the story of Sun Records in ANY WAY AT ALL!

BTW, when I saw the guy sitting by the grave talking, I got confused. I thought oh geez here we go AGAIN! And then I realized it was Johnny Cash. And I thought, Thank God it wasn't Elvis AGAIN! 

Secondly, I didn't like the church scene when Elvis goes into the black church and the black women have to tell him to dance and he timidly gets up and dances (sort of). We all know Elvis Presley has been singing and dancing in church since he was a tiny boy with his parents.

I get changing a name or a song, but please don't rewrite history.

I read a review yesterday that may have soured me a bit. It was pursuing the idea that Sam Phillips and Elvis Presley stole black music. I probably should not have read that before watching this. It really bothered me. And I thought, geez I hope they don't make this show political! No apologies, just tell the story AS IT HAPPENED.

Sam Phillips, as well as Elvis Presley knew good music. They didn't see color. They just heard good music. And yes, black musicians influenced Elvis. He often gave those artists credit. But Elvis was also influenced by many types of music including gospel music he heard in church with his parents as a tiny boy in Tupelo. Country music influenced him too. Elvis took many different things he heard in music and combined them. And depending on how you see things, the glass is either half full or half empty. All of those influences made Elvis incredible. I wonder sometimes if those that point out the fact that Elvis was influenced, or in their words, STOLE from black artists are not a bit one sided themselves. Whatever they say, we know Elvis had a style all his own and NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE has EVER duplicated it. Elvis Presley was one of a kind!


This show will expose the music to a new audience. Young and old, those who know a bit about it and some who know nothing about it. And if that means people go out buy a CD, take a trip to Graceland and explore Memphis, or become die hard fans like us, this show has been a success!

It will help keep the music going! And keep the legacy going in the next generation.

Some fans complained about the songs Elvis sang. I think known Elvis songs were used because the majority of the audience are NOT die hard fans so to start, they used well known songs. 

Judging by where they went with other artists last night, I think music wise, this show will NOT DISAPPOINT! 

Give it a chance. Folks, we are only getting started!

They have to reel them in at the start!

The guy playing Elvis is truly amazing! He has an innocence, boyish appeal just as Elvis had in those early years. I remember sitting in Alfred Wertheimer's house here in NYC and talking about those early days before Elvis became ELVIS. This kid reminded me of that innocence Al and I discussed. This kid is darn good! He's got it!

The Elvis kid gave me goose bumps!

He NAILS IT!

I was glad he didn't overdo the voice, the lip or the hip shaking.

In fact, I love this whole cast. I read so many articles with them all. I love how they bonded in Memphis. I love their admiration and respect for the people they are portraying and the city of Memphis. Unlike that recent bomb of a movie about Elvis where the cast went on TV and laughed about Elvis. OK, OK I won't go there!

I truly feel this show was written with the very best intentions toward the music and the history. This was a story that needed to be told and I am glad these folks are the ones doing it. This show reminds me a lot of the Elvis tv series with Michael St Gerard. It has that passion. But for now, it's number two to the Elvis series. Let's see if in the coming weeks, I change my mind.

The guy playing Dewey Phillips is AWESOME! And the guy playing Sam Phillips, I read an article in Rolling Stone with him, he is so passionate about Sam Phillips.  

He really GETS Sam!

Aren't we Elvis fans so lucky to have met Sam and heard all his stories all those years? We were blessed. I wish the younger fans had that.

I hope the writers get the chance to explore the story line about Sam Phillips starting the FIRST ALL FEMALE radio station and the backlash he received in Memphis for recording black artists.
I want everyone to know Sam did NOT steal the music, he was not a racist nor was Elvis. They loved the music. Sam took a HUGE chance and we have to THANK him for that. 
Sam Phillips is the Godfather of Rock N Roll. If not for Sam, we would not have so many great artists. I want everyone to see his genius and know his heart was in the right place.

"Music ain't got no color" Sam Phillips says in the show and I love that because that really is how Sam was and how he felt.

Let's see where it goes. Remember this is NOT a real time documentary so some story lines have to be summed up quick. Don't let the tiny details steer you away.
You can knit pick things like well, Elvis wasn't driving a motorcycle then, dating a girl named Trixie, he didn't sing that song at that time or that wasn't Lauderdale Courts. That's small stuff. At least Elvis isn't made a fool of.

I'll tell you what, I've had In The Jailhouse Now in my head all night and day! If that happens to one person in regards to Elvis or any Sun Records artist, I say WELL DONE!

I hope this brings new fans of all ages and all races to the music of Sun Records, Elvis Presley and Memphis. I hope they learn everything they can about Sam Phillips and Sun Records. 
I hope they discover all the incredible music that comes out of Memphis still to this day by people of all different races. Memphis creates incredible musicians. Memphis is magical!

This show is ALL about the genius of Sam Phillips, the unique sound of Sun Records and the magic of Memphis!

If you made up your mind, this show is not for you, so be it. If you loved it or liked it, stick with it and tell others to give it a chance!

Let's support it and get more episodes ordered on CMT.

We want others to experience the magic of Memphis music especially Sun Records and ELVIS PRESLEY!

Anyway, the way the cast talked about their characters proved one thing to me and the MOST IMPORTANT, this show was made with LOVE and PASSION! I love and respect that!

Check it out on demand if you missed the premiere. And be sure to check out episode 2 next Thursday on CMT @ 10 PM EST.

Here's a few technical details I took note of:

Musicial Consultant - John Carter Cash, Promotional Consideration - Hal Lansky, Special Thanks - Lansky Brothers, Jack Soden, President and CEO of Elvis Presley Enterprises. And Under permissions - Mike Volte - Scotty Moore's magnatone Amp.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elvis Presley's Forgotten Children - The National Enquirer 2 year worldwide investigation

Did Linda Thompson cheat on Elvis Presley with his own band member?

Sheila Caan has passed away